Monday 2 February 2015

A Day at the Office

I've had a day at the office today; our small office on the island at Frankwell in Shrewsbury can at times be busy, but some days are very quiet and today was one of them. There were a few calls, some work to do on the computer, a couple of visitors, and not much besides, giving me time to gaze out of the window onto what was probably a nicer day to look at than to be out in. It was still, clear, even hazily sunny at times, but certainly cold. People were huddled and swathed, and hats and scarves were the order of the day.

I enjoy people watching, and, while I love the open country and have no objection to having half a mountain to myself, I'm equally happy to be at large in the town, overhearing disconnected snippets of conversation and watching human behaviour and interaction. From the office window that's a little limited in scope, as I get only a brief glimpse of most of the passers-by - still, it helps while away the time. Some people you see a little more of: there's a cycle shop next door that does good business, and from time to time people have a bit of a wait at the local bus stop. And parents and grandparents pass by to drop off or pick up children attending the nursery two doors down.

Not much to see today, though! Everyone was too wrapped up, and no-one was fooled by the sun into strolling. But at last there is a feel of the day opening out, a sense that spring isn't too far away. That statement may be hostage to fortune; there's scope still for a few weeks of snow and frost.

Meanwhile, my singing friend Paul is putting together a group to meet and read (our own) poems. I hope we get it off the ground. I need to do more writing, and I'd like what I do write to receive kind but honest comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment