Saturday 21 March 2015

Sunday Talk

Some words I've prepared for tomorrow, Lent 5 :-

“If anyone wishes to serve me, he must follow me; where I am, there shall my servant be.”

From this morning’s reading from St John’s Gospel, here’s one of the hard sayings of Jesus. It may not have seemed so hard just then, when I read that single sentence. I don’t know what your image is of “where Jesus is”, but the picture that always springs up in my mind is one from my Sunday school bible, of Jesus sitting on a peaceful hillside, with a blue sky and the tints of heather all around, surrounded by sheep peacefully grazing. And that all seems very nice.

But Jesus has just said, “He who loves himself (or, he who loves his own life) is lost” – another hard saying, and pretty blunt if I may say so; and he goes on to talk about his death. So when you place those words – “where I am, there shall my servant be” into context, they are indeed hard words. Many of those who followed Jesus, including Philip and Andrew who were with him when he spoke those words – many of them would lose their lives as martyrs. The peaceful village churches and chapels we know and love were all founded in blood; as Tertullian wrote in the early years of Christian history, “The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the Church.”

Jesus himself said, of course, at the beginning of the Gospel reading I used this morning, that “unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains that and no more; but if it dies, it bears a rich harvest.” Today the traditional season known to the Church as Passiontide begins. Two weeks before Easter Day. With the shops just now full of eggs and Easter bunnies, it’s hard to forget about Easter; but for these two weeks I always try to do my best to forget Easter, so that, like the first disciples I can experience something of the mystery, the pain, the tragedy of these days.

As we read the Gospels, we find that Jesus talked quite a lot to his disciples about the fact that he would die, and die in a tragic way, at the hands of others. Most of the time they didn’t understand, not then, or else they deliberately stopped their ears and refused to listen. “No Lord, this shall never happen to you!” as Peter said, that time. For all his teaching, it will still have seemed to the disciples of Jesus as though everything had gone wrong, as though all their hopes and expectations had been dashed; indeed, it will have seemed to them that the forces of darkness had won, and they’ll have been confused and very afraid. The time came when they all fled and abandoned him. I want to feel something of that confusion and fear myself, each year at this time.

They’ll have felt guilt, as well, by the time these events were over. Think of Peter collapsing in tears as he hears the cock crow, knowing he’d done just what he said he’d never do, denied he’d ever known his Lord. But it wasn’t just Peter; they’d all promised they’d never abandon him, that they’d always stand by him. How must they have felt, knowing they’d all run away? I want to feel something of that, too, at this dark time in the Christian year. My hands helped hammer in those nails; I can’t escape that, I am to blame.

Yet many of those failed and guilty followers of Jesus would go on to share in his sacrifice, dying as martyrs themselves. John, the writer of this Gospel, was unusual in having lived to a great age and died peacefully. They dared to die because they’d realised the truth that their Lord’s passion and death wasn’t everything going wrong but everything going right. The seed not remaining a single grain but yielding a harvest only death could bring. A little earlier, John chapter 10 verse 10, Jesus had said, “I have come that they may have life, and may have it in all its fullness.” This is how it happens.

Darkness and light are great themes in Christian scripture, great themes indeed in all faiths. The Gospel accounts of the crucifixion speak of the sun’s light failing, and darkness falling over the face of the land, lasting from midday until about three in the afternoon. Well, we’ve just experienced an eclipse of the sun, and we’d all been well prepared for it, knowing just what time it would happen, what glasses to wear if we wanted to look at the sun, or we could even just watch on TV with informed commentary from the likes of Professor Brian Cox. But maybe in all of that we might still have managed to catch just a flavour of what our ancestors must have felt when something like that happened, the fear, the shock, the sense of impending doom. What had happened to the light? Would it ever return?

Whether there was an eclipse of the sun on the first Good Friday or whether what we have is a literary device on the part of the Gospel writers I shall leave for better brains than mine; but clearly what those accounts want to express is the sense that the whole creation was knocked off balance by what happened there that day. As I go through this year’s Passiontide I want to feel something of that, too. And yet this is what Jesus was bound to do; this is where Jesus was bound to go. This is the love of God revealed in all its glory; this is God’s loving plan for his world accomplished.

Where I am, there shall my servant be, says Jesus. I am come, he says, that they may have life, and may have it in all abundance; but this will be, or may be anyway, a hard road to travel. The news of bomb attacks on Christians at worship in Lahore in Pakistan last Sunday reminds us how hard that road still is, for many of our sisters and brothers who are Christian. There are still many Christian martyrs.

Some of those who witnessed the devastation caused by those bombs in Lahore reacted with violence themselves. Two people suspected of supporting the attacks were set upon and beaten to death. I’m bound to condemn that, but I’m also bound to wonder what I’d have done had I been there, had it been me seeing a holy place desecrated and loved ones killed. And I’m bound to admit too, and confess – none of us has clean hands.

Only Jesus dies deserving none of it. Only this one death can remove the stain of my own sin and failure and fear. But he still calls on me to follow, and to be where he is, and to go where he will go. Whatever the cost; however foolish that way may seem, as the world measures things. And all our living must be sacrificial, forgetful of self, challenged and directed by the impulse of love – the same whether my particular road is hard and difficult to travel, or else easy and full of sunshine. My challenge, and yours too, is to be a blessing to others, and to do my best to reflect the love and light of Christ into a world that is often hateful and often dark.

Methodists attend a very inspiring service at the beginning of each new year, where they use prayerful words originally penned by John Wesley to remind them of God’s call and challenge to them, and of their part in the covenant Christ has made with us on the cross: here are some of those words –

I am no longer my own but yours.
Put me to what you will,
rank me with whom you will;
put me to doing, put me to suffering;
let me be employed for you or laid aside for you,
exalted for you or brought low for you.
Let me be full, let me be empty,
let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and wholeheartedly yield all things
 to your pleasure and disposal.

The young people picked up in Turkey a week ago and returned to the UK had no doubt had thoughts of martyrdom in mind as they tried to cross the border into Syria and join the extremist caliphate known as Isis. Every religion has its martyrs and just now martyrdom is a theme actively promoted by certain Muslim preachers, perhaps still in mosques at Friday prayers, but more probably through social media. It’s poisonous stuff, and those who peddle it deserve I think greater condemnation and punishment than those impressionable and idealistic young people who are persuaded by it to do such dreadful things.

We follow the man who gave his life as a sacrifice for others, and who seeks to write his word of love on every heart. To me it’s very sad to see the word “martyr” used of those who have taken human life in the course of losing theirs. There is nothing noble about that sort of death; but the saddest thing of all is that such people believe they are serving God, have been duped into believing they are serving God, when they in fact are serving a distorted travesty of a god made in the image of the hate-filled minds of false teachers.

“Where I am, there shall my servant be.” That’s what Jesus says. Those words bring us year by year, and I hope day by day to the cross, the cross where each one of us can say and must say - this man died for me, and died because of me: to wonder at the love displayed there, to grieve our own sin that has helped put him there, to long for a world where darkness is banished forever, and to dedicate ourselves to that wonderful love, freely and wholeheartedly yielding all things to his pleasure and disposal who has given so greatly, and suffered so deeply, for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment