Tuesday 5 February 2013

Snowdrops


I'd just like to pay a little tribute to the humble snowdrop.  I was out and about today, covering some ground as I travelled from mid-Wales through Shropshire and into Worcestershire (and back) - and in quite a few places my heart was gladdened by little clumps, and in one or two spots huge drifts, of snowdrops.  It was good to see them, especially on a day that featured a fair dusting of snow and some cold winds.  Spring may be a little way off yet, but we're reminded that it is coming.

Most of the snowdrops we see in the countryside have been deliberately planted, but they naturalise well.  Except in my garden, that is.  Since it's a flower I really love, it's always been a particular sadness that for me they seem not to grow as they should.  I plant them, they flower, they disappear, there's no sign of them next year.  Why should that be?  Other people think of them almost as weeds, they get so many!  But it's such a special flower that I am determined to keep on trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment