Tuesday 26 February 2013

Psalm Sixteen


Another first draft of a poem . . .



On this grey morning
with the wind soft in my face
I am looking over the valley
from this path by a stream that chatters idly to itself
as it flows gently down under the stone slabs
of the old sheep bridge, sweet cold water splashing between
the new and hopeful greening of early spring.

You are down there somewhere,
I imagine,
doing something timely and important:
chairing a meeting, playing a violin,
hanging out the washing, waiting for a train.
I am for now outside the reach of time,
with nothing important to do,
and nowhere important to go;
but the wind blows soft in my face, and
standing where my eyes can scan the world,
just for this quiet moment
the lines have fallen for me in a goodly place.

For here I can feel it to be true:
that God is set at my right hand,
so that I can be glad, for safe held I shall not fall.
The quiet breeze and the soft grey clouds
seem alive with the Spirit, with the Creator’s presence;
the stream’s splashing motion sings
a constant litany of prayer and praise.
High on this hillside
each unspoken thought is laid open
to the mind of God;  and he hears,
for he is close by, he is close by.

Thou shalt show me the path of life;
in thy presence is the fullness of joy,
and in thy right hand
are pleasures for evermore . . .

. . . with the wind soft in my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment