Wednesday 27 February 2013

Epitaph (a poem)

22nd March - I've been working on these lines, and have decided to post a revised version:


When it is time to go
I shall hope to be remembered with smiles,
though I’d like there to be tears as well.
And I'd like to think there might be stories to tell
assisted by the raising of glasses
and maybe the odd eyebrow too.
When it is time to go
I'll hope to leave knowing
there’s a job well done, and a journey boldly made;
but maybe there might be a touch of frustration besides,
for I could have had a little more to try at,
might have found a mile or two further to walk; but anyway
I'll hope there may not be too much to regret.
I didn't get everything right, I know: I shall not hide from my faults.
The mistakes were all my own; I feel for every hurt I've caused.
But when it is time to go
I’d like to think they might be looked on kindly;
I hope I might be welcomed wherever it is I'm going -
with forgiveness and forbearance and maybe a little love.
For let this be known of me,
let this be believed, friends, when it is time to go:
I put my heart always into all I set myself to do,
always tried hard at love, and always hoped that in the end
I should have made more smiles than tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment