Saturday 25 June 2016

Brexit - a new poem

Brexit


To my slight surprise
the world still seems to be revolving,
the same sun, clouds, birdsong
as yesterday. Maybe
a different horizon,
a different road on which to travel.
“There may be trouble ahead,”
someone is singing - well,
I hope no-one was pretending it would be easy
whoever won the day. But hey,
we may be on a different road,
but it’s still the same people travelling,
my sister is still my sister,
my brother my brother.
In the end, I find
I don’t really care how you voted,
only that we’ll only get to where we want to go
if now we choose
to travel together.

1 comment:

  1. "To my slight surprise the world still seems to be revolving,"

    Give it time. As well as taking us out of the EU by mistake, our Dave might have precipitated the break up of the UK. The SNP was only looking for an excuse for another referendum - and all for the sake of a short term party political fix. What a way to run a country.

    I suspect the truth is that he was privately expecting to lose the 2015 General Election, so he thought he would never have to make good on his promise of a referendum, and meantime it would shut his right wing up.

    ReplyDelete