Monday 2 November 2015

More Rubbish

In a busy day today, I managed to make a little space to go collecting rubbish round our streets. It's only a few days since I did more or less the same route, and I was amazed how much rubbish had been thrown down in that time - I quickly had filled a bag. Those of us who volunteer as litter champions are kitted out with bags, pickers and hi-vis vests, and this last was particularly important today as it remained murky and misty throughout. Lots of people walk straight past without a word when I'm out there, but I had a few hellos today, and one quite lengthy conversation with a lady who herself tries to keep her bit of street tidy, and the area outside the school where her daughter teaches. I have met quite a few people who do a bit of litter picking without actually signing up in the way I have, and I'm glad of their concern and of all they do.

I'd like to meet one or two of my regular litter-droppers, as well. Much litter is dropped thoughtlessly by people who aren't thinking what they're doing, or else don't care. Some if clearly dropped by people on their way home after a night on the town; maybe they'd be more careful and caring when sober, but after they've had a few (and adding in a bit of peer group pressure) they become litter bugs. Smokers drop their fag-ends everywhere, and all too many of them also drop cigarette packet wrappers, the packets themselves, the little plastic tubes you get filter tips in when you roll your own, and even disposable lighters.

But my regulars: I'd love to meet the person who so carefully folds his crisp packet into a small triangle, then just throws it down. How can someone be so neat and careful (these really are nicely folded and tucked in) and then just throw it - often only a short distance from a bin? I think I'd also like to meet his psychiatrist. Then there's the person who routinely places his drinks can into the same piece of hedge; I've learned to always look there now. And finally the person who presumably comes to walk his dog on the recreation ground near the Flash - or at least, I guess the dog walks or runs, while he just stands there watching, and consuming cough sweets, leaving the wrappers on the ground. There is a bin right where he stands! Sometimes I do wonder why I bother, but I love my town, and I want to see it looking its best, and I hate it to be a mess. So I'll keep on collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment