Friday 30 October 2015

Dimensions

How many more than four dimensions are there,
and what are the dimensions of our dreams,
of our minds, our imagining? To know that,
I should need to know what is a dimension anyway,
and of that I am not sure - not yet. Is time
a dimension, for example? Or is it just an expression
of what limits me, what leaves me
believing only in the three dimensions
that make things solid, that make things real,
or that make at least for a depiction of ‘real’
that works  for me? When the aliens come
they will not be green and bug-eyed monsters,
not any monsters at all, in fact;
monsters require only the three dimensions,
and, limited to that, I think we can be fairly sure
they’ll never get here, there’s just too much
dimensional space to cross, and not enough of the fourth
dimension (which for the moment we will call time)
for that crossing to happen. Warp factor eight? I don’t think so.
Wormholes? Not and survive.
Truth is, or at least my suspicion is,
there is no “when the aliens come”. They are here,
if there is a here, now, if there is a now;
and they are not aliens, only what we always have been
and always can become,
when we are no longer limited,
or no longer limit ourselves,
in our choice and use of dimensions.



No comments:

Post a Comment