Wednesday 10 September 2014

I just hope his name is Gordon . . .

I turned up at the church at the right time for the meeting. Well, to be honest, a minute or two late, but I like a stylishly late entrance - it helps maintain the illusion of a busy man just managing to fit everything in. I could see Gordon outside, back to me, scanning the noticeboards, so, although it did seem awfully quiet, I presumed his wife was inside along with everyone else. "Evening, Gordon!" I said cheerily, and in I went, only to find an empty room. There were, however, noises coming from the smaller meeting room off, and as I walked towards the door a head popped round it. Sadly, not one I recognised. "Are you looking for us?"

Inside the room there indeed was Gordon's wife, but with a completely different set of people from the ones I'd expected, and obviously a completely different meeting. I had the right day, and (almost) the right time, but I was a week early, not having properly read the instructions sent to me. I made some comment about having seen Gordon outside. "I hope not," came the reply, "I left him at home, doing the dishes." There was much hilarity at my confusion, and I retreated to lick my wounds, and reflect that at least my foolishness had brightened up what might have been a boring meeting.

Back outside, I could see "Gordon" further down the street, looking now into an estate agent's window. I headed towards him, he turned round, and from the front, proved to be a complete stranger who looked a bit like Gordon from behind. Oh well. I can only hope his name was Gordon, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment