Friday 11 April 2014

Low Ebb

I'm not quite sure why, but I'm feeling at a bit of a low ebb today. Everything I've done has worked out at least reasonably well, I've heard a curlew and watched ravens, the sun has shone fairly steadily and the breeze has been light. I did finish last night still a bit short of sleep, but there must be more than that to leave me feeling this down.

So what to do about it? Pray? Not a simple answer; God isn't (I should think) going to turn up with a magic wand and magic it all away. I might perhaps pray about some of the continuing causes of stress in my life - a letter that months after being sent remains unanswered, for example. But it isn't enough just to pray - in this as in any sphere, prayer and action belong together. It's never an option to pray that the status quo may be preserved (though it occurs to me that many of the faithful of the C of E have probably been doing that all their lives) - but if we're going to pray for change, we need to be ready to accept the change that is God's answer - given that it may not be the variety of change we have requested or demanded!

But yes, I need to be praying, and acting on my prayers, and open to what God may require of me, just as much as to what God might choose to give me. Somewhere along the way, though, if I could just manage to feel a little brighter, Lord, I'd be grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment