Wednesday 9 January 2013

A Winter Walk

The first draft of a poem started today, but which reflects on a walk taken two winters ago, in harder weather:




I find the water no longer flowing
by the old lock, and along the frozen canal
I have traced and followed the footprints of swans
all along the crumbled and frosted snow.
On this hardest of mornings, I look across to see the
grey sheep huddled and sullen where the fodder beet was dropped
just below the brake at the top of the field, and
the few black birds that furl and flap around them.

The sky is as grey as steel,
and as empty as my heart.  I walk on above the lock,
past where a fence has tumbled
under its weight of snow, and into the field,
setting myself to climb under the black trees.  The sheep
do not move as I pass them, crossing a broken stile
to reach the old bridge. The stream here still tumbles thinly down bank,
sheathed though now within a dark culvert of ice.

There are some colours for me to see:
here where the sheep have left a yellow stain in the snow,
there where the brick of the bridge presents an orange red, while
ahead of me a grove of holly stands dark green, and ivy
clambers against the oaks and alders along the stream.  Yet in my eyes
all the colours are merely shades of grey; there is
nothing that shines in them.  Today there is more light from the snow
than from the sky.

As I top the rise and walk across to the stile, I watch
a single heron make its ponderous flight across the black pines,
twisting briefly to evade a couple of crows.  Its harsh cry
seems to echo the length of the field,
where the sheep had stood in silence while I passed between them.

I make the road and turn for home,
skidding briefly on the compacted snow and knowing,
as I swing my arms and clap my mittened hands, that
I too am infected by greyness, drained of light and colour, that
this winter is as much within me as around.

No comments:

Post a Comment