Wednesday 5 September 2018

The ministry begins . . .

Well, today has been my first day as Rector of the Chirbury Group. I am well past the first flush of youth, and my contract is "Sunday plus two days" (or is that "Sunday plus the equivalent of two days", whatever that may mean?), so I am clearly the cut-price option. But I'm looking forward to the challenge, and if perhaps I managed to feel a little blase about the service of collation and installation that took place last night at St Michael's, Chirbury, the reality of it was in fact quite moving.


The service ran very smoothly for the most part, but I had something of a presentiment that the bit where I ring the church bell could be a problem. Don't imagine that I am gifted with second sight, bells and me have a long history of somehow not getting on together, much as I love the sound of church bells! Having been led to the church door, I next had to pull the long rope attached - I assumed - to an appropriate rope in the ringing chamber, to toll the bell. There is a tradition that the number of times it rings represents the number of years the new incumbent will stay in the parish.

Unfortunately, it failed to ring at all. In fact, it didn't feel really as though it was actually attached to anything. I pulled harder, but nothing happened. Perhaps I shouldn't at this point have asked my churchwarden Tony to come and help me, but I did, and he came. And two of us pulling together were enough . . . to break the rope! I wonder what that might presage?

All the bells had been left "up" by the ringers, and the rope down to the porch was not attached to a bell rope, but presumably to whatever it's fixed to when not so attached. Tony went haring up the tower steps to fetch a handbell, which I managed to ring five times (counted with care) . . .

It was a lovely service, and I was pleased to see lots of friends from all over the place, and to have received some kind messages from friends unable to come. Unusually, I then announced my absence from the parishes for the next two Sundays! The holiday is fixed already, and can't be changed, and I invited any of the congregation who is able to join me at Grace United Church, Port Dover, Ontario at 11 am on Sunday 9th to be there!

There were fabulous refreshments (or so I'm told - a new incumbent doesn't get to see too many of them, because too many people want to talk to him!). A picture was taken - several in fact, of Bishop Alistair and I looking at the broken bell rope: I expect one will come my way at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment