Thursday 2 November 2017

A Funeral Poem

Don’t cry too much for me, though I have gone to that good night;
the gate stood open, I passed through; don’t grieve my soul’s last flight.
A new day dawns on lofty hills, the sun glints through the trees,
and calling birds rise up to chase along the gentle breeze.
I walked the lanes and worked the fields for all those many years,
and now in peace I’ll take my rest. Don’t shed too many tears,
but celebrate the love we shared, the bright and happy days,
the sweet songs of the summer, the sun’s soft evening rays.
It’s autumn now: my leaf has drifted down from life’s great tree,
but soon will come the spring, so do not grieve, my soul is free.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings from Chester. I enjoyed reading this poignant, poetic piece - well done.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete