Saturday 4 February 2017

Sunshine

A lovely day today, but jolly cold to start with. Unusually, the ground was wet from a night's rain while roofs were white with frost. I did my best to wash a car well covered with ice, to discover it's also well covered with little bits of tar, no doubt the product of several runs to Shrewsbury and back of late. They are renewing the road surface, working overnight with road closures, and the road is open through the day but with a temporary road surface. I shall not buy a white car next time (remind me of this - I hadn't intended to last time).

We have a new water meter; the old one is obsolete, apparently. The guy who came was Polish I think, young, pleasant. "It won't take long," he said. "The meter will be under the kitchen sink!" It is indeed under the kitchen sink, I told him - but unfortunately it is also under the kitchen floor. I led him to our undercroft, through the squeeze hole at the back, and showed him where, through another squeeze hole that would take him under the kitchen floor, he could find the meter. It's a bit tight, and you basically have to lie on your tummy, but there is at least an electric light immediately over the meter. Bless him, his enthusiasm was quite undimmed. "No problem!" And there wasn't; twenty minutes, and he was on his way.

No comments:

Post a Comment