Friday 12 June 2015

The Carpenter's Song

I shall take my pleasure in the golden shafts of sunlight,
where the shadows of great trees fall dark across the lane;
I shall take my pleasure in the cooling breeze against my face,
and the open road behind, beyond.
I shall take my pleasure in the strength of an arm
and the co-ordinating skill of eye and hand;
in the curl of the shavings where the plane travels,
in the turn and grain of the wood,
the chiselled face and the hammer’s blow.
Others may walk a different road, or chase a different gold -
let them measure their lives and mine as they may choose;
I shall take my pleasure in the things I know
and in the work that I can do,
here in the place where God has set me.
Let that be gold enough, and fame enough,
while I have breath to journey on.

No comments:

Post a Comment