Wednesday 13 May 2015

Dawn Chorus

Having a wood just a few yards from our bedroom window is quite handy at this time of the year. If I wake up early, all I have to do is open the window and I can lie peacefully in bed listening to the dawn chorus. And what a chorus it is! I listened the other day from about 4.30 onwards, with the chorus reaching its peak at about 6 am. The robin was the first bird to sing, joined by a blackbird soon afterwards. I also identified song thrush, great tit, blue tit, nuthatch, chaffinch, goldfinch, wren, chiffchaff, garden warbler, blackcap and dunnock. Plus, I think, whitethroat and willow warbler, but I'm not sure. And wood pigeon of course, but you can't shut them up.  And others I couldn't identify, I'm not the greatest on bird song.  I have a little recorder, so at the weekend I'll get up and go out and about with it if the weather is suitable. But for now, I'll stick to lounging in bed and listening in!

No comments:

Post a Comment