Sunday 14 December 2014

Time for a Change

When I started out, this was going to be a serious poem examining the need for spiritual refreshment. I'm not sure what went wrong . . .

I've been letting things slide, she said,
drifting into the spiritual red,
I've been spending so much that I never put back,
I've been letting things slide, she said.

So it’s time for a change, she said,
time to sort out the stuff in my head,
time to shake myself up, get my life back on track,
yes it’s time for a change, she said.

There’s so much I've been told, she said,
that’s confirmed in the books that I've read:
how the spirit grows sinful and sullen and slack,
that’s the truth I've been told, she said.

I shall make a retreat, she said,
find a place where my soul can be fed,
in the stillness and peace find the purpose I lack;
Yes, I’ll need a retreat, she said.

But I think, on my own, she said,
you can sort out your own life instead,
and if you could be gone by the time I get back,
I’ll be best on my own, she said.

So I thought about all she said,
and considered the options ahead;
She's gone off to the nuns, I've been given the sack -
and that's just about all she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment