Saturday 12 July 2014

Siskins

Quite a few young siskins at our feeders today - small and very streaky birds, about the same size as the blue tits that are visiting us in great numbers just now. I was very pleased to see the siskins, as this means siskins have nested in the vicinity this summer, something I'd expected as we've seen adult birds from time to time throughout the season, but which I'm glad to have proved. In previous years, it has always been my impression that siskins have moved up country by the end of March or so, not to be seen down our way until the end of the summer.

The young birds were very tame, and stayed at the feeders (with me watching from a nearby shed) while other birds arrived and dispersed. Even the arrival of noisy and untidy pigeons, along with one of the local squirrels, failed to move them. There was no sign of the parent birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment