Tuesday 20 August 2013

We Are Sorry You Are Waiting . . .

My mother-in-law closed her BT account on 7th May this year. The phone number ceased to operate on 6th June. She has just received her latest phone bill, which quite properly included a refund of line rental, set against some small charges for two 1571 calls we made just before the phone service ceased, and the £30 'cessation of Broadband' charge. So far, so good. But the bill came to nearly £50 because she was charged for broadband and phone services for the coming quarter, plus 'family and friends mobile' for the same period.

So I rang BT. After a lengthy wait, I spoke to a gentleman somewhere in India who told me the charges had to be made because "the account is still open". He then said he would need to transfer me to another department, where all would be explained. What actually happened is that I just went back into a queue; another lengthy wait, and the next person I spoke to had no idea what my problem was. She did, however, have more of a clue about what to do, thankfully. Apparently, "the order (for cessation of phone and broadband services) was left open" when it should have been completed. Kafka would be writing about BT were he alive today.

Two hours gone from my life . . . Oh well, a result of sorts, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment