Monday 15 April 2013

Seen From My Car

My most recent 'Nature Notes' article :-


A couple of months back I was nature-spotting from the 71 bus;  but I seem to see a surprising amount of wildlife even from my car, especially at this time of the year.  Our delayed spring has meant that the trees and hedges have stayed leafless longer than usual, and, though many of our summer visitors are understandably late to arrive, they are coming at last - the chiffchaffs can be heard again in the woodland - while some of our winter birds have yet to leave.

I’m always glad when I hear chiffchaffs, often among the first spring arrivals - but in fact all the birds I’ve seen of late from my car have been birds of prey.  (I suppose a chiffchaff counts as a bird of prey if you happen to be an insect, but you know what I mean!)  The first of these was a barn owl.  Our small fields, good old hedges, barns and other old buildings mean that this part of the world is still barn owl country, and I often see them at night, not least because they frequently course along our lanes and hedgerows, which make for good hunting.  But this barn owl was hunting by day, as I left Guilsfield one morning.  It was a sunny morning (though extremely cold, which is probably why the owl was out in the daylight) and the pale plumage of the owl positively shone as it lifted above the hedge to my right.

A few days later, I was literally just getting out of my car when a sparrow hawk hurtled past me, with quite a large bird securely held in its talons.  It was, I think, a thrush - one less, sadly to join in the dawn chorus.  The speed and precision of the hawk’s flight hugely impressed me - there wasn’t much room for manoeuvre.  Folk with bird tables often moan about sparrow hawks, but there is a natural balance between predator and prey (one result of which is that if you artificially increase the prey population by garden feeding you’re bound to increase the predator population as well - and why not?  It’s a beautiful bird).  Last week, as I parked my car outside a house in Pontesbury, I had a good view of another sparrow hawk, this time certainly a female - quite a large bird - which sailed across to a nearby roof which gave it a good view all around.

The final bird, glimpsed near Arddleen, was a bit of a star if I’ve got it right, and I’m fairly sure of my identification.  I was driving home when I saw a large bird flying across, and being mobbed by smaller birds as it did so.  I thought in terms of buzzard or kite, but it certainly wasn’t either of those.  Herons are often mobbed too, as are large gulls like lesser black-backed - but, again, no.  Though it was only a brief sighting, I was able to get a good view of the colours and, crucially, a side view of quite a distinctive head.  I’m pretty sure that what I saw, on quite a cold and cruel day, was an osprey on migration.  They do pass through this area (and these days, of course, they do nest in Wales), and the week I saw this bird there were sightings coming in of returning ospreys arriving at traditional nesting sites.  So, however unexpected, I’m fairly sure of what I saw.  It’s amazing what you get to see from your little tin box on wheels!

No comments:

Post a Comment