Thursday 27 December 2012

The Day After Boxing Day . . .

. . . and a day back at work for some people, including me - while the rest of the world lies in or goes for walks, visits elderly aunts or rumbustious grandchildren, or makes for the sales which seem to have been busier than ever when they started yesterday.  Didn't they used to be the 'January sales'?  Ours is a society that can no longer wait for anything!

Anyway, a picture of starlings from me, and to accompany it, a poem I jotted down yesterday - my first new attempt at verse for several weeks, in fact:


Pleasantly disturbed at my desk by the sound of starlings
I turn to see them sitting singly, all facing the same way,
on the various twiggy black branches
of the ash trees behind next door.
As I watch, every so often one arrives or departs,
flying swiftly across our ground
as though on some important mission,
with a schedule to maintain.

Most of the human population have no schedule today to worry us.
It is Boxing Day morning, with the world still more than half asleep.
There are seagulls drifting slowly across the valley below,
and they have complete possession of the skyline.
Meanwhile, I see that roses
are still blooming in our garden,
damaged a little perhaps by the winter rain
but not by any frost or snow, so far.

In the kitchen, the kettle is on for coffee, and
no-one here is going anywhere very much;
there is a rightness and a peacefulness about things,
or so I feel.  The world today is easy and good,
laid back and comfortable.  Happy Christmas,
God rest you merry.

Still, I find the TV remote near my hand, and so I use it;  and the news bulletin
smashes through the illusion of today:
serious winter weather is waiting just around the corner,
a family has been killed in a motorway crash,
another made homeless by floods,
and a hospital is cordoned off as a virus spreads through the wards.
People are still suffering and shouting, killing and being killed in our world,
Christmas or no.  And suddenly there is an urgent crying of gulls,
and the ash branches are empty of starlings
as the black shape of a hawk
rips across our yards.


No comments:

Post a Comment